I wrote last night about my daughter's husband, so I thought I should follow up with my sons wife. Having been blessed with two boys, hopefully, someday I will be blessed with two daughter-in-laws. My sons are in elementary school, so I have a few years to go before I have to even think about my sons wives. As a father, you always wonder who God will put in your children's lives. Having seen the damage that unfaithful spouses have on a marriage, I have a few words for my sons wife.
I value the decisions that my children make. To offer my words of wisdom for my boys, I have compiled a list of things that I expect from my sons wife. The things that I include in this list are not taken lightly. What I have learned from being a child, growing into a man and becoming a father is summarized below. Every father has a list of expectations for their kids. Though children do not always follow their parent's wishes, I hope my boys see the value in the expectations that I have set forth below.
Growing up as a child, I tried my best to honor my father. He has always been my greatest role model, and I have always sought wisdom from him. I hope my boys will find wisdom from me as well. I try my best to show my children what it means to be a Godly-man. The example I set is formed the best way I know how to honor God. Time will tell how successful my parenting job will be. Hopefully, I have installed enough morals and values to help my sons grow into men.
What I expect from my sons wife.
- My sons wife must love God first and foremost. Not only say that she loves him, but show it through the way she conducts herself.
- She must love my son above herself.
- My sons wife must be faithful to my son. Not only in her wedding vows but being faithful to support my son in their marriage.
- She must pray with my son.
- My sons wife must attend Church. She must understand the importance of surrounding her family with other believers.
- She must respect my son as the head of their household.
- My sons wife must respect him. Even in the event of a disagreement, she must respect his decision as final authority over their family.
- She must show my son the same grace that God has shown us.
- My sons wife must show kindness towards him and others.
- When she becomes a mother, she must show my grandchildren what it means to be a Godly woman.
Here are some Bible verses that are meaningful to me in regards to the above expectations.
- Matthew 6:33 NASB But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
- Philippians 2:3 NASB Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves;
- Titus 2:4-5 NASB so that they may encourage the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, 5 to be sensible, pure, workers at home, kind, being subject to their own husbands, so that the word of God will not be dishonored.
- Romans 12:12 NASB rejoicing in hope, persevering in tribulation, devoted to prayer,
- Psalm 150:1 NASB Praise the Lord! Praise God in His sanctuary; Praise Him in His mighty expanse.
- Ephesians 5:22-24 NASB Wives, be subject to your own husbands, as to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife, as Christ also is the head of the church, He Himself being the Savior of the body. 24 But as the church is subject to Christ, so also the wives ought to be to their husbands in everything.
- Colossians 3:18 NASB Wives, be subject to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord.
- Matthew 5:7 NASB “Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.
- Proverbs 31:26-27 NASB She opens her mouth in wisdom, And the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.27 She looks well to the ways of her household, And does not eat the bread of idleness.
- Proverbs 22:6 NASB Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it.