Have you ever heard the expression “take a chill pill?” All too often we get overwhelmed by our crazy lives and do not take the time to relax. When we are always wound up, and on high alert, we don't take the time to notice the simple things in life. Many God things happen in our life, and we do not even see them.
So I went through my day today and tried to notice the good things that took place when I took a chill pill. Below is a short list of some of the things in my life that I observed that were blessings. Some of the things I take for-granted on a daily basis. Maybe if I took a chill pill more often, I would see all of the beautiful things that God does for me without even asking.
- My family and I woke up healthy this morning. I take this for-granted every day. You never appreciate the fact that you get another day of life.
- I got to eat breakfast. God blessed me with the finances to purchase food to eat this morning. It doesn't sound like much, but to others around the world, it would mean a great deal.
- I went to work. One of the most undervalued things if you ask me. Having a job allows me to provide for my family. It doesn't matter what you are doing or how bad your day is, be thankful that you have a job and that you can take care of your family.
- Sitting around the dinner table. At our house it isn't about the food, it is about the family. Every night we use this time to get together as a family and reminisce about our day. This time builds up our family and brings us closer together.
- Bed time is a relaxing event. I get to read the Bible with my children and pray with them before I tuck each of them in their beds. This time is very special because it will not last forever. I cherish being able to do this with my children as other parents are not so lucky.
Why take a chill pill?
Just like I showed you above, many small things in our life are actually big things. We take these things for-granted on a daily basis, but if they were gone, we would miss them tremendously. I am so thankful for what God has blessed me with. At this point in my life, I see the importance of the small things. Never again will I act like a day is just a day. I'm sure that I will have my ups and downs, but I will always be thankful for the consistency in my life.
Philippians 4:11-13 NASB Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. 12 I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. 13 I can do all things [c]through Him who strengthens me.