By definition, insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Do we ever get different results by doing the same thing over and over again? From my personal experience, I would say definitely no. Anytime we get in a slump or have a struggle and continue down the same path; we are bound to end up with the same results. Only by changing things up, can we finally find a solution that works. Constant tweaking of the situation will start to eliminate small problems. Solving small problems will cause us to solve bigger problems.
Hebrews 10:26 NASB “For if we go on sinning willfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins”
Do we keep doing the same things as Christians and expect different results in our spiritual life? As a child, I remember getting into a routine as a young Christian. Prayer at supper and prayer before bed. I conditioned myself to say the same prayer every day. We would go to Church on Sunday, no Sunday school or extra activities. From week I would continue the same routine. I'm sure that a lot of parents out there can relate to what I am saying. You either did the same thing in your childhood or your children do the same thing that I just described to you.
How do we break the cycle of being a complacent Christian?
Change is good, when it involves growing your relationship with Jesus. You cannot grow your relationship with Jesus by doing the same boring, repetitive routine. When you keep doing the same things over and over, you will stall out and not continue to grow. Try switching things up in your life to keep your relationship with Jesus growing and fresh. Don't put him on the back burner. When you do, you will miss out on a lot of opportunities in your life. Trust me, I have been there and done that. The more you grow your life in Jesus, the more fulfilled your life will be.
How do you switch things us as a Christian?
Here is a basic list of things that I started doing in my life to get different results from my spiritual journey. You may be doing some of these things or you may not. Never the less, these things did help me get out of the cycle of doing the same thing and expecting different results.
- You need to pray more. Pray about everything in your life. Pray for others that are in your life. Don't only pray for your family and friends, pray for strangers.
- Make your prayers intentional and praises to God. Stop making a wish list for God to fill.
- Read the Bible on a daily basis. Even if it is for five minutes a day, the more you read, the more you will grow.
- Find an accountability partner. Get someone in your life that will hold you accountable for your actions or inactions.
- Treat others with respect. Go above and beyond to show God's love to everyone in your life.
- Attend Church regularly. I mean go as often as you can, not just when you feel like it. You shouldn't be missing Church to sleep in.
- Get involved in a Bible study. Surround yourself with other believers that can encourage you.
- Start a blog. I'm just kidding. I did however start this blog to help me on my spiritual journey. Hopefully you can grow your spiritual journey with some help from this blog!